Saturday, April 4, 2009

Praying for the rest of my days....

Starting with 90 days.

Today I made a commitment to myself and my Jesus to pray for an hour a day for the rest of my life. That sounds huge. But I believe with all my being it is doable. In the past few months my daily prayer life has been fairly close to non-existent. So, it is safe to say this is going to be quite the culture shock for me.

I really feel this is a challenge I need to take. I have the choice of doing it or not but I feel that the choice to sit back and continue to do basically nothing in my spiritual walk with Christ is close to spiritual suicide. I would be letting myself miss out on so many things God has for me and I would be missing the point of my existence.

It's interesting in the last few days and weeks I have really been struggling with how to meet with God and how to hear him and at times was even wondering if all these things I claimed were really things I was willing to give everything up for (as in going into missions full time... I want to do it but I have been struggling if I am really willing to give up everything now, not really knowing what is going to happen).

Through a series of unpredictable circumstances, I was able to go to a Women's conference at my church last night and today... Honestly, i saw the advertisement for the conference and I gave no second thought to it. I had a big misperception and a bad attitude about paying money to go to an event that is meant to feed Christians that are already saturated with information on how to meet God on a weekly basis. i wasn't interested in spending some of my free time with a bunch of older ladies from my church. Nothing against them, I just felt like it wasn't something I would be the least bit interested in.

I had the opportunity to attend last night which with my job normally on Fridays that would be impossible because I have a client until 7:00 that lives 30 mins away and the program started at 6:30. Yesterday it so happened that he didn't have school and so I jumped at the opportunity to take him earlier in the day. Then my husband had a need for someone to run slides for the music. I was like "well, i'm not going to be doing anything else important, so why not?" So I went to the program last night.

After the program I honestly wanted to come today but still wasn't willing to pay the money or ask anyone about it. Then it turned out the person that was going to run slides for today's session wasn't going to be able to make it... and they asked me to help... How funny. I jumped at that opportunity and brought my laptop to take notes...

Amazing. And I can honestly say the speaker, Becky Tirabassi, is not who changed my heart. But God totally met me at the conference today. I was really placed there because he had a purpose for me. My heart was in an open place and I was (and still am) willing to try most anything because I am desperate for some intervention from the one I have placed my trust in, Jesus.

So, long story short, Becky Tirabassi has this company called Change Your Life Inc. and doesn't give you answers on what God wants from you or what you should do with your life but teaches you how to pray and gives you a plan of organization. And she encourages you not to do it alone, which I am officially held accountable to pray every day by one of my wonderful sister-in-laws! :)

The recommendation is that praying every day will not really become an inherent part of you until you've been doing it for about 90 days. So we are committed to e-mailing daily for 90 days and I am hoping, but not certain it will happen, to invite the blog world in on my beginning journey. Although I doubt it will be terribly interesting because i don't know how much i'll want to share. I'm thinking it's more an accountability thing for myself to blog and have it known out there, even if no one really reads this that I have made a commitment to myself and God...

I want to pray an hour a day for the rest of my life!

1 comment:

Lindsie said...

I think this is great and so glad God moved in your heart! I'm excited to see what he does in your life during these times and what direction you may find! Woo hoo!