Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Crafty Things

I've been attempting to break out the sewing machine lately and improve my craft skills. I got a couple great books from my sister-in-law Amy for my birthday: One Yard Wonders and One Skein Wonders. I haven't used the One Skein Wonders book yet but have used the One Yard Wonders book for two projects now. I've really impressed myself with how easy some of the projects are and how great they look when they're done.

In addition to sewing I took up knitting over the winter months and completed a couple dish rags that I use as potholders. I am also into making special bridal shower gifts... there are pictures to follow:

This is a towel cake I made for my cousin's fiancee for her wedding shower. I got tons of compliments. My grandma walked into the basement and thought it was actually a real cake to eat. How cute! This gave them a full set of towels and you can't have too many towels! :)

The sewing machine cover is my first successful project from the book "One Yard Wonders". It turned out really nice.
This is the first potholder I made and kept for myself. I made a set of three for my sister-in-law Emma for Christmas which I saw her using over Easter weekend to clean up Judah.
My most recent project I just finished today (and I made 2 in under 2 hours!) is from "One Yard Wonders." It's a tactile blanket that I will be giving to some friends that are having baby boys within the next month. So excited for them to get these. I love making projects that I can give away. It adds a special element to the gift when you've spent extra time on it. Anyway those are my projects for now! Hopefully there will be more to come! :)


4 comments:

nina martine said...

I noticed that you made the tactile blanket from one yard wonders. I was so excited to see that. I am the artist that did that project and noticed how many other projects get posted and wondered if anyone had done one of mine. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Love the fabric you used for the sewing machine cover. Very stylish! Saw the link to your post on the Facebook group.

Anonymous said...

What fun projects! Wish I had more time to sew again . . . Hope to see more of your creations!

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Look at you crafty lady! SO fun!! Don't you love the "One Yard Wonders" Book! I made the Pinafore Dress for Addie and love it. Way to go on the "cake" very creative!

-Linds